British Ferret Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poorly Hob

3 posters

Go down

Poorly Hob Empty Poorly Hob

Post  Lame Veg Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:43 pm

I have 1 Hob and 5 Jill's. They live outside (well, in a shed rather than in the house). Each ferret lives in a coge approx 1meter square.
Doophus is 4years old. He's an Albino. From working stock.
He's losing weight, although he seems to be eating well.
He appears to be very lethargic.
His toilet seems to be normal.
He got cuts on his neck (from one of my jills being overly aggressive at mating). They were almost as if someone had taken a razor to his throat. These cuts have scabbed over but don't seem to be healing well.
I have brought him into the house to keep an extra eye on him. At times he wanders around the room but isn't as energetic as any of the females. Potters rather than races around like the others.

Is it his age or an illness?
His full sister died of similar symptoms earlier this year.
I live in central France and have had difficulty finding a vet who knows anything about ferrets

Thanks for any help

Lame Veg

Lame Veg

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Back to top Go down

Poorly Hob Empty Re: Poorly Hob

Post  ridgeback05 Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:14 pm

hi mate,ferrets will lose a fair bit of weight in the summer...if he is eating well & drinking and all else seems ok then i think you may find that it is to hot for him..ferrets do not take well to heat..i would make sure he has plenty water untill you can find a vet that can take a look at him..as for the wounds made by the jill if you can get yourself some colloidal silver and spray that on to the cuts and you will be amazed how quick they heal up.collidal silver is harmless and can be used with no threat to you silver and can even be put into your ferrets water but i would spray straight on to the wounds...i use it on my jills great stuff.
ridgeback05
ridgeback05

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-06-02

http://www.imanje.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lame Veg Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:28 am

Hi again
Thanks for the info.
Doophus normally loses a bit of weight in the heat but this time he's gone to skin and bone (mind you, it is exceptionally hot here at the mo.) None of the jills seem bothered by the heat.

I take it colloidal silver in French would be something like "Argent Colloidal"?.
Where can I get it from?
Vets? Animal Food Stores?

Cheers Lame Veg

Lame Veg

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  basil Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:34 am

My hobs lose weight this time of year, Boots especially. But then he has had more sex in the last month than i`ve had in last two years. Rolling Eyes
I would put it down to hormones at present but if you are really worried, phone a vet and ask.
basil.
basil
basil
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4836
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down