British Ferret Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jill in season

4 posters

Go down

Jill in season Empty Jill in season

Post  Benjamin Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:04 am

Right... i have a bit of a dilemma,i'm a totall ferret virgin,only had my two for a few months,and one of my Jills have come into season,i had planned on getting them spayed this coming payday (May 4th) but didn't anticipate that she'd beat me to it. i'm fairly new to edinburgh and my local vet (portabello) doesn't seem that interested in spaying my two girls,so i guess i'm asking for a little advice...

#1 Will she (Shush) be okay untill may 4th? i've read that they can develope a few life threatening problems if not mated or spayed.
I quite literally haven't got a penny untill payday. And i noticed she was slightly swolen 'down there' about a week ago.

#2 Does anyone know of and have any experience with any ferret friendly vets in Edinburgh (or Glasgow,it's only a train journey)

Your assistance will be much appreciated.
Benjamin
Benjamin

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Jill in season Empty Jill

Post  PAM B. Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:18 am

Hi Benjamin. My vet wont spay a jill in season. So she needs to be brought out by a jill jab or a vasectomised. Hob. Pam
PAM B.
PAM B.

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Jill in season Empty Re: Jill in season

Post  Benjamin Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:26 am

Ahh... right... well, a hob is out of the question,i still don't really know anyone in the city, especially other ferret keepers,and my two were rescued,
How long does the jab take to bring her out? i imagine it's fairly rapid?!
And being in season for a few weeks isn't going to cause her any iriversable harm is it?...
Benjamin
Benjamin

Back to top Go down

Jill in season Empty jills

Post  PAM B. Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:42 am

I dont know much about the jill jab as i use a vasectomised hob on my jills . Your jills will be ok being in season just for a few weeks . Hope you get something sorted. Pam.
PAM B.
PAM B.

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  marski Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:56 am

Hi Benjamin, The first ferret I had came into season just after I had her and I got her a 'jill jab' the first year. It took a couple of weeks to take her out it cost about £10 I think so would hardly break the bank but it's probably a bit more now. Take a look at the vets list on the main page to find a suitable vet if you don't already have one. Good luck, let us know the outcome. Very Happy
marski
marski

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Benjamin Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:03 am

marski wrote:Hi Benjamin, The first ferret I had came into season just after I had her and I got her a 'jill jab' the first year. It took a couple of weeks to take her out it cost about £10 I think so would hardly break the bank but it's probably a bit more now. Take a look at the vets list on the main page to find a suitable vet if you don't already have one. Good luck, let us know the outcome. Very Happy

Righto,thanks Marski,found a vet and be heading there first thing in the AM tomorrow,just to enquire... still have 'till may 1st for payday, and as for the Jill Jab only costing about £10,and not breaking the bank,but it really wouldn't bother me if my whole months wages went on it,my little babies are worth every penny! Very Happy
Shall keep the forum updated with thier progress,and some pics when i sort yea olde camera out!... Evil or Very Mad
Benjamin
Benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  Benjamin Wed May 13, 2009 12:43 am

Well... thats the "Jill Jab" outta the way... oh the trauma at the vets... typically nothing goes smoothly... hmpf...
Just as i was taking Shush out of the carrier,Shovel Decided that she wanted to try and squeeze through the wire in the front... actually thought it was just to small for her to get her head through... *sigh* i was wrong... she managed to get right down to her waist... then no further...
So,she was clearly in a little pain and had totally started to panic,while the vets be running around to get some wire cutters,and as anyone knows... when an animal panics,they get a little nippey... so... by this point my arms and hands are bleeding quite significantly... but no chance in hell am i letting my baby go... she can bite me all she wants,if it helps her,then so be it! andway... we cut her out... gave her ten minutes to cool off while we health checked her sister,and then the jab,then moved on to Shovel,so they bother be fine... but i couldn't help but notice the fact that they've both done nothing but sleep since the vets yesterday...
Jill in season 2009_026
Benjamin
Benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 13, 2009 2:57 am

how they are breathing? did they take any water and food since yesterday?
my fritzy was very sleepy after castration,she sleeped from 4 pm to 12 pm but then she goes to drink and eat as usualy and used wc,then back to sleep..but at next morning she looked as nothing was happened with her,she was playful and all was normaly..

kisses to your girls and hope everything will be okJill in season _heartsss__by_spongee0990 Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Jill in season Empty Benjamin

Post  Guest Wed May 13, 2009 4:55 am

Oh dear why does it happen to you Shocked
Hope the girls are fine now. Very Happy
Cherry cherry Oh and your arms are mending and the bleeding stopped What a Face

Back to top Go down

Post  sammyv87 Wed May 13, 2009 8:56 am

Wow Benjamin, you've had some day.

Hope all is well now.

Braid Vets on Leith Walk are good.

Riverside Vets in Livingston (there's also one in Bathgate), castrated Oscar.

Riverside was cheaper than Braid, so I'll be taking my jill there when she's old enough to be spayed.

Sam
x
sammyv87
sammyv87

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Benjamin Wed May 13, 2009 7:05 pm

All is fine now... they've had a big sleep and now it's like nothing has happend... well... Shush was playing last night for the first time in weeks... it's the first time she's been interested in anything other than her sister 'other' end... o_O arms all scabby,but at least no bleeding. Whoop

I ended up taking them to Oak Tree,up on Queensferry,not exactally cheap,but i had a wee chat with the vets and like the way he was with the girls (even durin the chaos of a trapped ferret) so will be sticking with them in the future.
Whoop to happy, healthy fuzzies!!!!

Benjamin.
Benjamin
Benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down